Other Areas Historic Landmarks
ST. GEORGE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE KEEPER’S HOUSE
Every lighthouse had residences associated with it to house the lighthouse keeper and assistant keeper and their families. When the St. George Island Lighthouse was reconstructed in the center of St. George Island the plans included reconstructing a keeper’s house adjacent to the lighthouse to contain the museum and gift shop.
Edward Bowden had built the lighthouse and keepers house at both Cape San Blas and St. George Island in 1847. His contract, signed by Samuel W. Spencer, Superintendent of Light Houses District of Apalachicola laid out explicit instructions on how the tower and the keeper’s house was to be constructed. In building the reproduction, the St. George Lighthouse Association followed the dimensions and layout of the former keeper’s house. There are two rooms on both floors of the home separated by a central hall. Fireplaces and chimneys are located on each gable end of the building for heat. Some changes had to be made to meet current building codes. The original keeper’s house was located just two feet above the ground, but to comply with current flood requirements the new house was elevated.
Work on the keeper’s house was started in October 2009, and the museum and gift shop was opened to the public in August 2011.